You may be aware of recent news reports from the Aged Care Royal Commission that some aged care providers do not have emergency plans for handling the COVID-19 crisis in their Homes – Moran Health Care Group is NOT one of those providers.
We have had our emergency plans in place since February 2020. Our emergency plans evolve on almost a weekly basis to keep abreast of the advice and updates we receive from The Public Health Units and NSW/VIC Health, learnings and experiences shared across our portfolio of Homes in NSW and VIC and what we can learn from COVID-19 experiences in aged care in Australia and across the globe.
At this time we are pleased to report that we do not have any COVID-19 cases in any of our Homes in both NSW and VIC and we thank you for the role you are playing in keeping our residents and employees safe and well.
Visiting arrangements – Current Status
- Moran Engadine – to meet social distancing requirements, visits must be prebooked firstname.lastname@example.org
- Moran Sylvania – visits permitted between 9.30am and 5pm Monday – Friday and every second Saturday between 9 am and 1pm, for those people who cannot attend Mon to Fri.
- Moran Kellyville –currently closed at the direction of NSW Health. We will advise when this situation changes.
- Following an update from Dr Kerry Chant, Chief Health Officer, NSW Health HERE any staff and visitors who have visited any of the locations on the same time as a COVID-19 case (see updated list of venues and dates HERE) should be excluded for a period of 14 days since their visit to the listed location.
- The screening declaration has been updated, visitors must carefully review the questions and answer truthfully
- Please check the information about hotspots and areas of concern BEFORE visiting a Moran Home as these details change frequently. They are published on the NSW Health Website HERE
- Follow social distancing rules – no kissing or hugging, sorry
- Practice personal hygiene – handwashing, cough into your elbow, no handshakes,
- Think about who you mix with and where you visit
- Stay away if you are unwell. Get tested and isolate if you have any COVID-19 symptoms
- Mandatory – wear a clean face mask when you visit
What Residents and Families can do to support a safe visit
We take a sensible and practical approach about resident exposure to visitors from outside the Home. We ask next of kin and enduring guardians to take the lead within the family unit and provide guidance to family members and friends who may be thinking about making a visit. Our suggestion is that families limit visits to close family members and ask extended family and friends not to visit unless necessary. Encourage them to have telephone, facetime, skype catch ups or to send cards and messages instead.
Family members and representatives are reminded to be aware that the virus is most contagious for 24 hours before the onset of symptoms, so it is possible to be contagious before experiencing symptoms. If there is any doubt about their health or concerns about the people they have been in contact with they should not visit. Handwashing and social distancing are still considered the most effective defences
Health Authorities also make a distinction between close and casual contact – with the highest risk being 15 minutes of close contact. When visiting we ask that visitors limit the time spent in the Home with loved ones. Visits must be limited to resident rooms, close personal contact such as kissing, hugging and handshaking is avoided.
- All employees who live in NSW Health published hotspots are required to wear face mask whilst on Moran premises
- All employees are screened, and temperature checked prior to entering the building
- All employees receive continual competency training on Infection Control – use of PPE and handwashing
We are confident with our ability to communicate with Residents and Representatives in a timely and efficient manner – our communications, depending on their critical importance, will be dispatched via SMS, email, printed, CareApp newsfeed and news posts on the Moran website HERE. We communicate to the next of kin and primary contacts. Nominated contacts are reminded to keep details up-to-date and regularly check emails. We suggest sharing communications with other family members and friends who regularly visit.
We are working hard with our teams to facilitate contact with your loved ones and to keep them active and engaged during this difficult time. We urge families and residents to speak to the General Manager of your home if they have any concerns or questions.
Mary Gibbs, Moran Engadine – 9548 7777 or email email@example.com
Nelly Banag, Moray Kellyville – 02 9881 4222 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Lorraine Kelly, Moran Sylvania – 02 9532 6222 or email email@example.com